Greetings to all!
It’s been a while since I last posted… but here I am!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I’m a fan of Graydon Moffat, creator and founder of Canada’s all-natural skincare brand, Clinical Luxury. She was in my neck of the woods on Father’s Day (June 19th) weekend, so I had the immense privilege of meeting her (and hugging her!!!). She is absolutely amazing, extremely smart and she can dissect a food or beauty related product like nobody’s business! I had such a blast with her; we obviously chatted about her brand. There isn’t a product in her entire line that I don’t gush over! It’s so hard to pick a favorite, it seems unfair somehow, like picking a favorite child!!
Now, in my last post, I mentioned my hair transition from relaxed (chemically straightened) to natural (my God-given hair), which is tightly curled, kinky and coily. So, let’s talk about my hair’s new best friend, Clinical Luxury’s Hair Smoothie* . I keep reaching for it, I’ll find any excuse just to put some in my hair!
A treat for your hair and your senses!
Essentially, the Hair Smoothie, which has the color green (of course!) is nutrition for your hair and scalp in the form of a detangler/conditioner. It’s packed with ingredients that keeps your locks healthy. It works amazingly for ALL hair types, even for my tight kinky curls and coils. My hair is also extremely damaged, weak and dry, but this gem is bringing LIFE to it !
Here’s what makes the Hair Smoothie SO great for your hair…
As you may have guessed by the name of the product, it is to your hair what a green smoothie is to your body.
Let’s pretend we’re creating our very own green smoothie, what do we need to make it as healthy as possible? First, we need the usual suspects (fruit and vegetables), then the superfoods and we finish with the add-ons (they make the smoothie so much better). Now, let’s make a hair smoothie!
- The star ingredient of this product is…drum roll, please: the broccoli seed oil (also found in one of my favorite facial cream, The Green Cream, another hit from Clinical Luxury)! There’s hope for you, if you used to toss your broccoli on the side of the plate! We all know that dark leafy greens like broccoli provide lots of vitamins and when consumed as part of a healthy diet. Broccoli seed oil, applied on hair, promotes hair growth while strengthening the hair follicles. Now, listen up ladies! We all want healthy shiny hair, right?! Well, broccoli seed oil naturally imparts sheen and luster that is similar to the one silicones give (try to stear clear of those, especially the non-solubles ones!). However, the latter coats your hair shaft, only giving you the illusion that it’s healthy and shiny, while weighing down your hair. As for the former, it actually feeds your hair, leaving it smooth without casting harmful chemicals. Let’s not forget the jojoba, coconut and sunflower seed oils who assist in conditioning and protecting the hair by sealing in the moisture.
- Matcha, known to be one of the most powerful green tea, is packed with antioxidants and polyphenols. It also has Vitamin B which, applied to the scalp and hair, translates in panthenol, good for strengthening hair and repairing split ends. Chlorophyll, cleanses and detoxifies, stimulating blood circulation to the scalp, thus allowing oxygen flow to the follicles. Some even say it slows the progression of grey hair.
- A beautiful selection of essential oils, such as rosemary, parsley, thyme and sage, stimulate the scalp, as well as encourage hair growth. Thanks to these essential oils, a fresh herbal scent lingers every time I use it! Full disclosure? I sometimes use it as a hand lotion!! (I’m impossible!)
Let me count the ways!
Clinical Luxury defines the Hair Smoothie as a “detangler/conditioner“. Oh, it is SO much more! Ok, so, using it as a hand cream may not be wise, I admit! Still, there are many ways to use it, depending on your hair’s needs.
5 ways (and counting!) to use the Hair Smoothie…
- Co-wash or cleansing conditioner (If, like me, you have dry hair and scalp, a co-wash can be a great alternative to a shampoo. However, keep in mind that clean hair promotes healthy hair, and the sure way to achieve that is through shampooing regularly, preferably with sulfate free shampoos. I alternate between co-washing and shampooing);
- Detangler/Conditioner (it gives a fair amount of slip, free of silicones, but if you have very texturized coarse hair, you might need something heavier, with butters in it);
- Leave-In treatment (I have thin/fine hair, its lightweight consistency makes it an ideal leave-in for me);
- Deep conditioner (I like dense deep conditioner, so I add a bit of castor oil, after 30 minutes with heating cap, it gives me amazing results, the heat allows the smoothie to penetrate into the hair shaft);
- Moisturizer (on damp or dry hair, followed by a lightweight oil, such as jojoba, argan or olive oil to seal in moisture. It leaves no greasy residue or white cast on the hair).
Ingredients: purified water (aqua), distearoylethyl dimonium chloride, coco-caprylate, polyglyceryl-2 dipolyhydroxystearate, vegetable glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, hydrolyzed jojoba esters, jojoba esters, lauryl glucoside, glycerin, broccoli (brassica oleracea italica) seed oil, coconut (cocos nucifera) oil,sunflower (helianthus annuus) seed oil, olive (olea europaea) fruit oil,matcha (camellia sinensis leaf) green tea, vitamin e (tocopherol), glyceryl caprylate, glyceryl undecylenate, citric acid, chlorophyll, parsley (carum petroselinum) oil, sage (salvia sclarea) oil, rosemary (rosmarinus officinalis) oil,thyme (thymus vulgaris) oil, lemon (citrus medica limonum) oil and nothing else!
Price: 24$ CAD/240 ml (shown in picture) ; 55$ CAD/ 1 litre
The Hair Smoothie is definitely an essential and a staple in my hair care regimen. Using it has made my detangling session a breeze. Also, I’ve noticed less shedding and breakage. I do have many other conditioners, but for some reason, I always reach for my beloved Hair Smoothie. If it ain’t broke… I just trust that my hair benefits from its regular use, especially with such great botanical ingredients. My main goal is to achieve healthy hair, and healthy hair grows! So, move over, Rapunzel !
Please, share any thoughts or comments below. If you find other ways to use the Hair Smoothie, please let me know!